After the official release of the Playstation 5, more and more direct comparisons of the console with the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S in various games began to appear. Journalists from Digital Foundry published a comparison of the versions of the game Dirt 5 for Playstation 5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. Microsoft consoles are noticeably inferior in many aspects to the console from Sony, despite the active promotion of Dirt 5 with the Xbox Series X.
The game has 3 modes on older models:
- High definition. The mode with the best graphical performance. The claimed resolution is 4K @ 60 FPS on Xbox Series X and Playstation 5. In fact, 4K is rare and often drops to 1440p. But on the Playstation 5 consoles, it remains at a noticeably higher level if you take the average value. At the same time, the Xbox Series X has problems with FPS – it jumps from 52 to 60, while on the Playstation 5 it is almost constant 60 FPS. Plus, the picture quality on Playstation 5 is slightly better (due to increased texture filtering).
- High resolution. A mode where both consoles almost always deliver 4K at 60 FPS. The optimal mode for the game, the minimum number of performance problems.
- High frame rate. A mode that allows you to play at 120 FPS. Resolutions for Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 float from 900p to 1440p. However, graphically, the game looks much better on Playstation 5, an example can be seen in the screenshot below. At the same time, Digital Foundry specialists noted that such a significant difference is more like a bug that they reported to the developers.
The younger model Xbox Series S also has 3 modes:
- High definition. Resolutions from 1080p to 1440p at 60 FPS, there are drawdowns.
- High resolution. Resolutions from 1080p to 1440p at 60 FPS, while the frame rate is almost always stable here, but the resolution is, on average, closer to the minimum value.
- High frame rate. On Xbox Series S, resolution can drop to 570p.