Invite people to an appointment
You can invite people to attend an appointment via the Calendar app. This allows you to keep an eye on who can and cannot do it or plan a more suitable moment together. This way you ensure that everyone can be present at the appointment. In this article we explain how to invite someone, modify an invite or cancel it.
Sharing a calendar and sending an invitation: the difference
The terms may be a bit similar, but sharing a calendar is not the same as inviting someone to an appointment. When sharing a calendar, you invite someone to become a member of the same calendar, as it were, where both (or all) of you can make appointments. For example, you can set up a family diary, so that all family members are aware of the joint planning. You can read how to share a calendar with someone in another article.
When sending an invitation for an appointment, you also send a link to someone. The big difference is that the other does not have access to an entire agenda and can only see this one meeting. Inviting someone to an appointment works once, so you have to invite the other person over and over for each appointment.
Invite others to an appointment
Scheduling appointments with someone else is easy. You just need to make sure you’re using a suitable calendar account. For example, you must use your iCloud, Microsoft Exchange or Google account. Other accounts will also suffice, as long as they support CalDAV servers. Since most people use the above (cloud) services, this feature works for the majority of people. If you’re sure you’ve set up at least one of these accounts, you can take the following steps to invite someone to an appointment.
- Open the Calendar app on your iPhone or iPad and press the red plus. To invite people to an existing event, tap the event and then tap Change.
- Scroll down and press Invited guests.
- In the bar you can enter email addresses of your guests. Press the circled plus to search among your contacts for those you want to invite. Then press Ready.
If you use an Exchange account, every invitee will now receive an email with which they can accept, decline or accept the invitation with reservation. Are you using a different type of account? Then you can still send them an email. Then press the appointment, press Invited guests then tap the envelope symbol.
Reply to an incoming invitation
When you have received an invitation, you will be notified. You can also see the invitation in the Calendar app by pressing on your iPhone Incoming or by pressing the mailbox icon on your iPad. You will also see the appointment appear in your calendar with gray stripes.
Take the following steps to answer an incoming invitation.
- Tap the incoming appointment. You can find it on the spot for incoming appointments or in your calendar.
- Then tap one of the response options: Accept, Perhaps of Turn off.
You can add a comment to the appointment, but this is not supported by all types of calendars. Your comment can only be seen by the organizer. You can view the activities that you have declined under the heading Agenda’s the option Show declined activities tapping.
Customize an incoming invitation
Is the appointment a bit inconvenient? Then you can propose an alternative moment for the appointment. Do you use your Exchange account to schedule appointments? Then you must have an Office 365 subscription if you want to use this function. With other suitable accounts support this feature anyway.
This is how you adjust an incoming appointment:
- Tap the appointment and tap Suggest new time.
- Change the time and / or day. Then press Ready.
- Confirm your change by clicking Send to push. You now send an email to the organizer. If one uses an Exchange account, this will happen automatically in the background.
Cancel an incoming invitation
If an invitation does not go through, but it is in the agenda, you can easily delete it yourself. You do that like this:
- Open the appointment in the Calendar app. Press at the bottom Delete activity.
- Confirm your choice by pressing again Delete activity to push.
The appointment has now been canceled. The invitees will be informed of this by means of a notification. The appointment is crossed out and gray in their calendar. Some users may find that a spammer invites them to an appointment. That is of course annoying, but you can also delete those agreements. Read in the article below what you should do exactly.
Would you like more tips on collaborating with your iDevice? Check out the articles below.