Returnal made us sweat. But, in the end, it was man who defeated the machine. You might as well share our experience with some advice that could perhaps help you progress more quickly.
Returnal is talked about a lot now, and his difficulty may seem off-putting at first, but it is not. Here are some recommendations to help you turn the corner and turn the game over to Housemark your turn!
1 – Activate the “EASY” mode!
Eh yes ! There are options that make your life easier! First, activate the race mode on “permanent”, Selene will move much faster and can more easily dodge any threat. Then set the target aid to “maximum”! If an enemy is found almost in the middle of the screen and your weapon is fast enough, the shot will hit hit!
2 – Insist!
This advice might sound obvious, but the hardest part about this game is getting started. When you haven’t unlocked the sword or grappling hook, or any weapon upgrades yet. For a new player, the first level can be scary. But hang in there, as soon as you start to know the game, because this is the essential key to success, you will have results. Dying is an essential component of the start. And a death or two later (and a few improvements unlocked), when it finally gets there, the shot of adrenaline and satisfaction that comes with it will be worth the effort!
3 – Move, all the time!
In Returnal, if you stand still to shoot, you’re dead. It’s as simple as that ! Like in DOOM Eternal, you have to move all the time to have a chance! So run and shoot, in that order! Strafing is life. Coupled with the first tip, it’s even more effective!
4 – Use the mini-map during the fights!
The minimap displayed at the bottom right of the screen is an essential tool in combat: in the blink of an eye, you can see where the threats are coming from and choose an escape route or access to a resin. which will restore some physical integrity! We can also rely on the light mark that surrounds Selene but it is much less effective.
5 – Anticipate enemy dumpling patterns.
In a shoot them up, it is not your character that you have to watch, nor even the position or the movement of the enemies, but rather the trajectory of the clouds of pellets. Especially if there are a lot of them, like against a boss. This doctrine can be applied in Returnal and it works quite well: rather than focusing on Selene or the enemies, when it gets too tense, try especially to regain the trajectory and dodge the balls more than anything else!
6 – Play it safe …
IF it goes too hard when you enter a room for the first time, do not hesitate to go back to the previous room to regain your senses … You can then play with the opening / closing to beam some mobs that would have followed you a little too far, keeping the door closed the time of their attacks! Very efficient! Do not hesitate either to turn while dashanting in the room, without really fighting, the time that your secondary fire is recharged, just to be able to strike a blow!
7 … By taking risks!
Quite quickly, when you get it back, the sword will allow you to do big, big damage. Most enemies are very sensitive to it and die in one hit! So observe the enemy patterns, and as soon as an attack is over, wear yours in the security window granted to you!
This method is particularly effective against the sectioned, formidable mobs halfway with the boss who appear in the second level! from a distance they are formidable, but are stunned at the first blow of the sword, and their attack to the body – body no longer works if you are in their paws!
Plus, if you kill enemies as a melee, you will absorb all of their Oboliths at once, and that can make a difference to the Item Maker! In that vein, the shotgun, available from the start, is formidable against everyone, mob and boss included!
8 – Divide for better reign
As in Souls-like, groups of enemies can become particularly violent, especially when flying. Prefer to attract small groups to a corner and clean the rooms gradually, step by step, mob by mob. Also, do not always attack the weakest first: some enemies like Mycromorphs, turrets or regenerative pillars must be destroyed first!
9 – Always explore everything and start again … from the beginning!
Even if you were at level 3 and death drops you back to first, don’t take the shortcut right away. No, take the time to explore again this first level that you now know very well, to smash the statues with the glowing eyes, to look up to find the switch of the fenced rooms: you will improve your life bar, your level of health. mastered and are likely to find some awesome Relics and Parasites that will give you a decisive helping hand later!
10 – Hunt the best starting relics:
Here is a small list of items available from the first level that could save your life!
– The adrenaline leech : This relic gives you 5% of the damage converted to health as long as you are in an adrenaline chain. If this item is not very useful against bosses, with it, in the exploration phases, you are almost invincible!
– Emergency repair : With this relic, if your health goes into the red your suit starts to repair very slowly! Very practical during the exploration phases, and against a boss, then concentrate on dodging the dumplings, and you are once again with a little health and a new chance!
– Blade stabilizer : The latter offers 50% more damage to melee, but above all, will break the orange force fields. A must for combat AND exploration!
– Astronaut figurine : It gives a second life. If you die, it brings you back with part of your life bar and you can continue the fight where it was without resuming from the crash site … A must have absolutely! The children’s watch and certain parasites have the same effect!
– The reconstructor: Not an item per se, but one of the machines in the game. It allows you to resuscitate the place of the reconstructor in exchange of Ether and to be entitled to another chance!
11 – Flee from harm like the plague!
If an object is purple, picking it up or opening a safe may cause it to malfunction. These are often very complicated to repair and can be fatal for a cycle. So anything that can harm you, like healing, obolith blocks, or chests, if you can’t cleanse it, don’t tempt the devil! It may be there, your mistake …
The same goes for parasites: the bonus must really be worth it! Or, you must be able to get rid of it quickly and that the consideration is sufficient! We in our game didn’t pick up any purple objects and maybe only one parasite every 10 found!
12 – Keep your Etheres and your keys carefully!
Locked safes often contain a valuable item, but random generation makes things irrelevant. Better to keep your keys to open a path that can offer more different bonuses than a simple chest.
Also, Ether is essential. It is with it that you can purify the items and above all, activate the reconstructor. I personally only purify objects when I have 30 Ether, and I always keep at least 10 in stock, just to be able to deal with any eventualities … Once again, unless necessary, avoid harmfulness!
We now pass on some more advanced advice, intended for those who would have completed the first act!
13 – Flip level 4!
In level 4, pods appear everywhere. inside there are often oboliths, and even, pests and care! They’re everywhere, and smashing all the pods in a room can net you up to 20 or 30 more Oboliths! A significant bonus when it comes to purchasing the astronaut minifigure or the integrity expansion!
14 – Cumulate the effects and specialize!
A relic that improves healing efficiency, combines a parasite that does the same thing and other bonuses will allow even the tiniest little health resin to restore almost the entire health bar! If leech powers are your thing, it can get dreadful when paired with improved repair! The construction of the hero suffers from randomness, but it is a real pleasure to choose the ideal combination!
15 – Some essential items and pts!
Prioritize their acquisition and unlocking in act 2!
– The submachine gun with the leech ammunition : When you shoot your enemies, sometimes it gives you health! If you find this weapon with this mod, don’t drop it!
– The Empty Hunt with the radius turret and ammunition : If you manage to unlock these two upgrades for the Void Hunt, the weapon becomes totally overpowered! She summons two turrets that shoot enemies for you! Great while exploring, and totally crazy against bosses!
– The Poison Grenade Launcher : Dj, it hurts a lot when you touch enemies. Then he inflicts damage the hard way! So you can duck from afar, then hide away the time that this big mob, the boss limit, spends too much!
-The automatic rocket launcher : When he empties a salvo of 12 rockets in the boss’s troche, he is immediately less proud! Be careful, all the same, you have to aim well and anticipate because the rockets are very slow!
– The automatic pump shotgun : A great classic, effective against all enemies, even bosses (except bosses from worlds 3 and 6!). A good pump discharge and life is rosier! Associated with the “automatic” advantage, the weapon becomes insane and no longer needs pressure for each shot! Associate the sword, it’s a real carnage!
– The electric beacon (5 beacons at once) : It is a real pleasure to strain your enemies who die charred by this electric spider web! But beware, you can quickly find yourself in a very bad position if you miss your shot … Better to play distance with this weapon!
– Anything that has a power says “Leech” : Relics, weapons, parasites, if you see the word “sansgue” that’s good, and your life bar will thank you!
And there you have it, with these few tips, you are well on your way to facing death and returning Returnal ! Good luck !