Celtic head coach Angelos Postecoglu summed up the home match of the 5th round of the Champions League against Shakhtar (1:1):
– How would you comment on the result of the match against Shakhtar?
– We created a lot of opportunities, unfortunately, we were not able to realize all the moments. We scored a goal, but after that we did not use many chances. Shakhtar answered us with a goal. Of course, we are upset by the result and by what we missed. It is a great experience for us to play at such a level, we are progressing and improving the quality of the game. It is impossible to achieve everything quickly, so we set goals for the future and years, over the last season we have already made some progress. The main goal was to test the team against the backdrop of a stronger opponent, of course, we could have done more, but it happened the way it happened. The main thing is to play against someone who is stronger than you, but we did our best.
– Have you learned a lesson from this Champions League group stage?
– Of course, at this stage it is hard to be surprised at anything, since we played against a stronger opponent. This is a very difficult level, and we fell short in some components, we even know which ones. We lacked in terms of implementation, also in such matches there was a question of class, so we understand our mistakes.
– Do you think that, given the good implementation, the match against Shakhtar could have turned out differently?
– Yes, we understand that we didn’t finish, and we know that we did it in the key moments of the game, without converting our chances. At the same time, we give an account of which tournament we are in and the result of the game. Every match is an opportunity to achieve something new. We are disappointed with our place in the group but Celtic are an ambitious club and we will continue to work to improve our results.
– Why didn’t you use Kego and McCarthy in the offensive line?
– We had certain changes, and we had hopes for those who we had.
– Will the experience gained in this Champions League season be useful in the next seasons?
– Of course, next season we will again try to qualify for the Champions League. This season we have learned a lot, and we will use it in the future. It’s hard to achieve success when you play in the Champions League every five years. In order not to lose this experience, we set the task of qualifying for the tournament again. We have tested ourselves, we know what we are capable of, we know what is required of us to progress in the Champions League. This level of responsibility and play requires a lot more effort and experience.