Shakhtar Donetsk goalkeeper coach Andrey Pyatov assessed the team’s performance in the 1st round of the Champions League match with Porto (1:3).
– How would you rate Dmitry Riznyk’s play? This was his debut in the Champions League.
– I congratulated him: he played very well, confidently. I’m very happy for him. After such a difficult loss for him, he showed that he is a professional and that he gives his all to the game. Therefore, I congratulate him and am very pleased with him.
– How is the atmosphere in the stands? Have you heard the fans’ support?
– Yes, we heard. We understand that the majority of people at the stadium are local residents. But they heard our native language, our fans were there too, thanks to them for that. Very warm atmosphere.
– What surprised Porto?
– I wasn’t surprised by anything. We prepared, we saw and knew how they play. They didn’t do something incredible. We ourselves made three mistakes that led to goals. This is the Champions League. Here every mistake is important, because this is a completely second level. No one will forgive.
– What did the head coach say during the break? The team began to play more collectedly.
– Yes, we began to play better. Some were nervous in the first half, others were pointed out their mistakes. In some places they began to move a little more, in others they closed the zones more. Real moments appeared. We could have counted on something more.
In the match of the 2nd round of the Champions League, Shakhtar will play on October 4 away against Antwerp, which started with a 0:5 defeat from Barcelona.